Things I learned When I Turned 40
When I turned 40 something inside of me changed, some say it’s only a number but for me it was much more than that. Some life changing decisions were made, probably labeled as “mid-life crisis” from some.
I didn’t care, I wanted more!
Having already accomplished a lot (marriage, first house, 2 kids, the dog, a divorce & etc) turning 40 pushed me to make yet another major decision, this time in my career. This only seemed appropriate as I continually learned more & more about myself, my strengths, my values and mostly my “what others think about me is none of my business” attitude. This new found mindset gave me the courage to do things I didn’t dare attempt in my earlier years. And this had to be for me to quit my corporate job and launch myself into entrepreneurship. Looking back now I can clearly see that for all those years that I was obsessed with pleasing & appearing a certain way for others, had robbed me of tremendous personal growth & experiences that were needed for me to become a better person.
Turning 40 is awesome, in societies eyes you have reached a certain maturity…in my eyes I have reached a period in my life when things become a little more about me and not so much consumed with everyone else.
Pardon my French but…it feels damn good J
My top 10 realization once I turned 40:
- That no matter what I did my twenties & thirties were gone forever…a new chapter was beginning.
- That when I was 20 and my mom in her forties she wasn’t as “old & uncool” as I thought.
- That simple things in life have a more memorable impact then “glitz & glory”
- That no matter how hard I tried I would still mess up at times with my children.
- The real meaning of “what others think of me is none of my business”
- That it’s okay to feel lazy some days.
- That as long as I believe “I can do it” everything else falls into place.
- That is does take longer to get fit once you pass 40 so don’t stop! LOL!
- That small actions everyday lead to great things.
- That procrastination does not make things go away
- That courage is only experience when we step out of our comfort zone
- That no matter what my children will always have a piece of my heart
- That turning 40 does not mean you are over the hill but that you now own the hill
- That happiness is created not reached
- And that time passes and you can’t stop getting older but you gain wisdom & wisdom brings a more fulfilling life!
Cheers to the best years to come.
Manon Leroux a Mother, Entrepreneur, Bilingual Social Media Manager (founder of Savvy Social Solutions Social Media Management for small businesses), Blogger, Community Builder, Social Media lover, Dog lover…still trying to figure how all of this thing called “Life” works!